38 South 2nd Street 1738 Wright’s Ferry Mansion, initially owned by the English Quaker, Susanna Wright, was built in 1738 on the 100-acre tract of land that she had purchased in 1726 when the area was isolated wilderness and still part of Chester County. It would be another three years before Lancaster County was formed.…

Read More

226 Cherry Street 1870 After the death of John Wright Jr., land that was part of the Wright Cherry Orchard was divided and sold. One of the former orchard plots was sold to Sarah Jane Bruner and her husband, Abraham. It was on that piece of land that Abraham built a two-and-a-half-story brick Italianate-style residence.…

Read More

308 Locust Street 1875 During the latter part of the 19th century, the railroad continued to expand, and the discovery of iron ore deposits led to the beginning of the iron industry in Columbia. By 1887, thirteen blast furnaces were operating within a three-mile radius of the town. Factories producing silk, textiles, stoves, baked goods,…

Read More