Federal circa 1790 – 1830 The term “Federal” came into popular use in the United States after the Constitution was adopted in 1789, as an expression of pride in the new nation. In architecture, it was applied to what might be called the first American style, which typified the desire for change toward a new…

Read More

The beautiful mansion house and several outbuildings are all that remains of the colonial iron plantation known as Windsor Forges. Windsor’s two forges were located on the eastern branch of the Conestoga south of Churchtown. In 1732, John Jenkins received a land grant of 400 acres from the Penn Family. In 1742, this was sold…

Read More
Central Market

Because Lancaster was founded nearly 300 years ago, it is often called a colonial town. However, less than ten percent of the city’s buildings that existed in 1800 now survive. Today, in both city and county, the overall visual character is one of contrast, with the numerous eclectic styles from the long Victorian period, lasting…

Read More

Germanic circa 1710 – 1770 The house known as the Herr House was built by Christian Herr in 1719 as a home for his aging parents, Hans and Elizabeth, but also as a Mennonite meetinghouse. The home was erected on a hill, in a style that could be traced back to the Roman occupation of…

Read More

For more than 45 years, the prolific Urban created many of the historic landmarks that are fundamental to the beloved character of Lancaster City. This naturally begs the question, who was C. Emlen Urban? Many Lancastrians are unaware of the life-long work of celebrated local architect C. Emlen Urban. His deft eye for design transformed…

Read More