Gone, But Not Forgotten: Evan’s Mill In 2008, the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County created a calendar series entitled “Gone, but not Forgotten” as a reminder of some things that aren’t here anymore. The Evan’s Mill was the featured image for September of that year and painted by J. Richard Shoemaker. Artist’s Notes Traveling…

Read More

Gone, But Not Forgotten: Midway Airport In 2008, the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County created a calendar series entitled “Gone, but not Forgotten” as a reminder of some things that aren’t here anymore. The Midway Airport was the featured image for January of that year and painted by J. Richard Shoemaker. Artist’s Notes This…

Read More

Safe Harbor Village Drive Conestoga, PA 1929-1932 In 1846, Reeves Abbott & Company from Philadelphia selected the Safe Harbor area to build the Safe Harbor Iron Works. The location for the industry was ideal with the downriver navigation and canals on both the Susquehanna and Conestoga Rivers. Construction of the Historic Safe Harbor Village and…

Read More

For more than 45 years, the prolific C. Emlen Urban created many of the historic landmarks that are fundamental to the beloved character of Lancaster City. In this post, we will examine Urban’s 1888 Southern Market Center located at 100 South Queen Street. Southern Market Emlen Urban’s first major commission was the Southern Market structure.…

Read More

  White Chimneys in Gap, Pennsylvania is celebrating 300 years of American history. The earliest portion of the house was built in 1720 by Francis Jones with subsequent additions. Francis’ granddaughter, Faithful Richardson, married Lancaster judge, Henry Slaymaker. White Chimneys remained in the Slaymaker family until the end of the 20th century. Throughout the years, White…

Read More

226 Cherry Street 1870 After the death of John Wright Jr., land that was part of the Wright Cherry Orchard was divided and sold. One of the former orchard plots was sold to Sarah Jane Bruner and her husband, Abraham. It was on that piece of land that Abraham built a two-and-a-half-story brick Italianate-style residence.…

Read More

Federal circa 1790 – 1830 The term “Federal” came into popular use in the United States after the Constitution was adopted in 1789, as an expression of pride in the new nation. In architecture, it was applied to what might be called the first American style, which typified the desire for change toward a new…

Read More

1 Powerhouse Road Conestoga, PA 1930-1931 The Dam at Safe Harbor The original portion of the Safe Harbor plant is representative of early modern industrial design. Taken from the tradition of grand halls, markets and train stations, the building is designed with a sense of strength, interior openness, and verticality. The building is functional, as…

Read More