38 South 2nd Street 1738 Wright’s Ferry Mansion, initially owned by the English Quaker, Susanna Wright, was built in 1738 on the 100-acre tract of land that she had purchased in 1726 when the area was isolated wilderness and still part of Chester County. It would be another three years before Lancaster County was formed.…

Read More

Because Lancaster was founded nearly 300 years ago, it is often called a colonial town. However, less than ten percent of the city’s buildings that existed in 1800 now survive. Today, in both city and county, the overall visual character is one of contrast, with the numerous eclectic styles from the long Victorian period, lasting…

Read More

Gone, But Not Forgotten: Evan’s Mill In 2008, the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County created a calendar series entitled “Gone, but not Forgotten” as a reminder of some things that aren’t here anymore. The Evan’s Mill was the featured image for September of that year and painted by J. Richard Shoemaker. Artist’s Notes Traveling…

Read More

Gone, But Not Forgotten: Midway Airport In 2008, the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County created a calendar series entitled “Gone, but not Forgotten” as a reminder of some things that aren’t here anymore. The Midway Airport was the featured image for January of that year and painted by J. Richard Shoemaker. Artist’s Notes This…

Read More

For more than 45 years, the prolific C. Emlen Urban created many of the historic landmarks that are fundamental to the beloved character of Lancaster City. In this post, we will examine Urban’s pair of mansions on West Chestnut Street at 624 and 632. 624 & 632 West Chestnut Street This pair of homes built…

Read More

Safe Harbor Village Drive Conestoga, PA 1929-1932 In 1846, Reeves Abbott & Company from Philadelphia selected the Safe Harbor area to build the Safe Harbor Iron Works. The location for the industry was ideal with the downriver navigation and canals on both the Susquehanna and Conestoga Rivers. Construction of the Historic Safe Harbor Village and…

Read More

For more than 45 years, the prolific C. Emlen Urban created many of the historic landmarks that are fundamental to the beloved character of Lancaster City. In this post, we will examine Urban’s 1888 Southern Market Center located at 100 South Queen Street. Southern Market Emlen Urban’s first major commission was the Southern Market structure.…

Read More

  White Chimneys in Gap, Pennsylvania is celebrating 300 years of American history. The earliest portion of the house was built in 1720 by Francis Jones with subsequent additions. Francis’ granddaughter, Faithful Richardson, married Lancaster judge, Henry Slaymaker. White Chimneys remained in the Slaymaker family until the end of the 20th century. Throughout the years, White…

Read More